Recreational Pilot Licence (RPL):

Fly with your friends and family in the local area

What does it let me do?

  • Fly a single-engine aircraft under 1500kg max weight;
  • by day, in reasonable weather;
  • within 25 nautical miles (46 km) of your starting point;
  • carrying one passenger.

Additional permissions and privileges can be earnt with additional training.

What do I need?

  • You need to be at least 15 years old to go solo
  • You will need to be 16 years old to hold a Recreational Pilot Licence
  • You need to be able to speak English clearly
  • You will need to get a medical certificate from your GP (limit: 1 passenger) or a Class 2 Medical from an Aviation specialist doctor (no passenger limit).

How much Training is required?

  • The minimum flying hours by CASA rules is 25 – That’s 20 with an instructor and 5 solo.
  • You will do a flight tests with a Flight Examiner (usually, our Chief Flying Instructor) for your Recreational Pilot Licence.
  • There are a couple of written exams to check your Aviation knowledge, and a computer-based test set by CASA.

What does it cost?

Basic Flight training in a small single-engine aircraft will cost you about $300 per flying hour. This cost may vary slightly between different aircraft and different airports.

Total cost for a Recreational Pilot Licence would normally be about $6,000 including GST.


Once you have earnt your Recreational Pilot Licence, you can expand your privileges by earning additional endorsements.

The endorsements include:

Controlled Aerodrome & Controlled Airspace: fly in higher-density airspace with Air Traffic Control, including Tamworth, Coffs Harbour, Bankstown and Camden. (You will do this with your RPL if you train with us at our Tamworth base)

Flight Radio Endorsement: this is a normal part of your training package and comes as “standard” with all Airspeed Aviation Pilot Licence courses.

Recreational Navigation Endorsement: allows you to fly beyond the 25nm limit of the standard RPL, and navigate cross-country anywhere in Australia.

The next step after a Recreational Pilot Licence is the Private Pilot Licence (PPL). The PPL will allow you additional privileges, such as Night Flying, Instrument ratings, Aerobatics, Formation flying, and Multi-engine.