TRAIN FOR A CAREER AS A PROFESSIONAL PILOT
What do I need?
- You will need to be at least 15 years old to go “First Solo”
- You will need to be 18 years old to hold a COMMERCIAL Pilot Licence
- You need to be able to speak English clearly
- Some Airlines require year 12 Advanced Maths and Physics, but most do not.
If you wish to fly professionally, we recommend that you see a CASA-approved doctor for a full CLASS 1 Medical Examination before you commit.
How much Training is required?
- The minimum flying hours by CASA rules is 150, but most people need 180-200 hours.
- If you already have a Private Pilot Licence, you will need to do a Flight test with our Chief Flying Instructor.
- There are 7 x 2-hour written examinations required before you complete the flight training and attempt you Commercial Pilot Licence test
What does it cost?
Flight training will cost you about $300 per flying hour. This cost will vary slightly between different aircraft and different airports.
Some Flying Schools are able to offer a 150-hour “Integrated” CPL training Course, but in our experience most students do over 200 flight hours before Graduating. The extra hours are usually used to get additional qualifications to become more attractive to a potential employer.
Total costs over 6-12 months would be about $60,000 including GST.
COMMERCIAL PILOT LICENCE
DO I NEED TO GET A DEGREE TO BE AN AIRLINE PILOT?
No, there are no airlines in Australia that require pilots to have a degree. Many Commercial airline pilots go back to University once they are working, however.
QANTAS is the only airline in Australia that sets an academic requirement for its pilots, and that is at the HSC level not a University level.
Can I get VET Loans for that?
YES! VET Loans are available for several professional Aviation qualifications and they are capped at $75,000 not the new lower cap.
Airspeed Aviation expects to be offering VET-Loan approved courses from early 2018 at our bases in Tamworth and Scone.
Once you have a full Commercial Pilot Licence you can either:
- Get additional qualifications; or
- Get a job
When you graduate from a Commercial Pilot School, you should aim to have:
- Over 200 Flying Hours
- A Commercial Pilot Licence,- ideally with Instrument rating and Multi-Engine Rating;
- Dangerous Goods and First Aid certificates
- Aircraft Maintenance Experience
- Real-world practical Charter Pilot Skills.
Airspeed Aviation’s mission is to ensure you are trained to a level where we could employ you the day after you graduate.
Contact us today to book an introductory lesson or to find out more.